On the topic of extremely easy things to do once you've made yourself some sauerkraut, this is a simple, and very tasty quick dinner we often like to make for ourselves.
- 1-2 sausages per person, depending on how hungry you are
- 1 roll per sausage
- About 1 cup of sauerkraut per sausage (a little more if you like a lot)
- Caraway seed
- Preheat oven to 350 F (about 177 C)
- Over medium heat, bring some oil or butter up to temperature in an oven-proof skillet.
- Brown the sausages a bit, but don't cook them all the way through.
- Remove sausages from the skillet, and dump in the sauerkraut.
- Cook sauerkraut in the skillet until some of the brine has evaporated, sprinkle in caraway seed to taste, and stir in a small dollop of mustard (we used some apple mustard we had around this last time - yum!)
- Place sausages on top of the sauerkraut, and put the skillet in the oven until the sausages are cooked through.
- In the meantime, dress the rolls however you like - I prefer just a little bit of mustard.
- When the sausages are done, place one sausage on each roll, top with saurkraut, and chow down!