We just made this last night, and I have to say, I was even surprised at how well it turned out. This was also an excuse to try out a béchamel sauce, which is just a basic French white sauce.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Gruyère or Emmental Swiss Cheese
- Béchamel sauce
- Bread Crumbs
- Cut the cauliflower into small/medium sized florets and arrange in a gratin pan or shallow casserole.
- Grate enough cheese to cover the top of the pan in a thin layer
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce, as directed in the above link.
- Once the sauce is done, pour it over the cauliflower florets in the pan, mixing it some so the cauliflower is well-covered.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is well melted and lightly browned.